Monday, November 3, 2008

it's stylish and polite to vote

Tomorrow will be my first time voting in a presidential election. In fact, I have to admit, it will be my first time voting ever. I'm really excited and plan to high five my mom after I vote. I might even wear red white and blue. Might. I've heard a lot of excuses in the past about voting. Including but not limited to:

My state always goes red (or blue) so my vote doesn't matter.
Do you really think they actually count all the votes?
Both of the candidates are evil/useless/ineffectual, so why should I vote?

My answers:

Vote anyway, it's an expression of your beliefs.
Yes, I do believe they count up all the votes.
If you must, vote for the lesser of two evils. But make some kind of opinion heard.

I don't want to bring this onto a philosophical plane about societies, government, rights and so on. Simply put, voting is a privilege and an opportunity, not a chore. You wouldn't show up at a baby shower and skip out on the silly prenatal games, no matter how burdensome that act seems, so don't show up to the democracy party and neglect to participate. To put it politely: please vote. Thank you.

Oh, and I understand you get some kind of sticker if you vote. There you go, stylish.

Extra credit: go online, look up the local elections that are happening, and decide who to vote for in them too!

general housewifery is participating in National Blog Post Month (NaBloPoMo).

No comments: