Tuesday, March 4, 2008

fat attack

Has anyone seen the Bowflex commercial where the "newly ripped" character says something like "I gave all my fat clothes to my fat friends"?

Does it disturb anyone else?

The first time I heard this I thought I was hearing wrong. Luckily, I was cleaning at the time, and I do like to leave the television on while cleaning (I also like to wear heels while cleaning) so I heard this repulsive comment again. I'm all for celebrating weight loss and physical fitness, these are great things and most of us could use more exercise. Still, I can't help imagining the conversation in which the Formerly Fat Dude (FFD) informs his Currently Fat Dude (CFD) friend that he is welcome to his fat clothes since FFD will now live the life of a hard body and relegate CFD to a life a perpetual obesity. I think this is really rude and it really irks me.

What do you think?

2 comments:

Meg said...

Definitely not a tasteful ad, though I haven't seen it.

That said, I've gleefully passed on clothes to heavier friends. I just don't call my clothes or friends fat (unless they specifically ask me and they really are, 'cuz they count on me to be the honest friend).

JPENG said...

That commercial sounds pretty rude. I haven't seen it. My dad has a bowflex and uses it as a coat hanger ^^.